Our Mission and History

Mission Statement

Joe Jordan (upper right), President and CEO of BGCFW poses with Patty Kelley, a volunteer, and two members during a Batters and Bidders fundraiser.

To inspire all young people, especially those who need us the most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens.

History

In 1988, Fort Wayne was the largest city in the United States without a Boys and Girls Club. Rudy Mahara, who had recently moved from Lafayette, Indiana to Fort Wayne, convinced a college fraternity brother, Duane Hinshaw, to join him in a meeting with national representatives from the Boys and Girls Clubs of America (BGCA). Hinshaw, who worked with at risk youth immediately understood the need.

 

Music and art provide self expression for our members.

Three months later there was a quality board of directors and Ian Rolland, then President and CEO of Lincoln Life, had made a substantial financial contribution. Organizations like DANA, Kelly Automotive, McDonalds, NIPSCO, General Electric along with local foundations got the ball rolling.
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Fort Wayne (BGCFW) were officially started in 1989 by this small, determined small group of community leaders who felt the city needed a safe, positive and accepting place for school age children to go after school and in the summer.

The first Executive Director, Duane Hinshaw (now a Vice President of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America), found a long, eager line of kids waiting for the club to open at 1309 Minor Street.

Joe Jordan (left) has been president and CEO of BGCFW since 2010. The clubs have doubled in size during that time.

The club’s original three rooms and 180 children served annually has grown to a building at 2609 Fairfield Avenue, three remote sites and service to nearly 2500 children each year.
Under the direction of President and CEO, Joe Jordan, the clubs continue to offer our Fort Wayne youth a fun, safe and positive place to grow into happy, successful adults.

 More…