The Boys & Girls Clubs of Fort Wayne…
Opening doors to a GREAT FUTURE
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Fort Wayne was started in 1989 by a small group of community leaders who felt the city needed a safe, accepting and positive place for children and teens to go after school and in the summer.
The first Executive Director, Duane Hinshaw (now a Vice President of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America), found a long line of kids waiting for the Club to open, on that first day. The Club, located at 1309 Minor Street, was just 3 rooms that were used as office space during the day, and for member programs after school.
The Club has grown from about 180 members that first year to the over 1,800 members we serve today. Although the number of members, staff and program choices have grown, our focus is still the same after all these years: to give our Fort Wayne youth a fun, safe and positive place to grow into happy, successful adults.
Our Mission – describes the purpose of everything we do!
To inspire all young people, especially those who need us the most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens.
Our Vision – is how we want to get it all done!
To be the leader in addressing the growing needs of young people through exceptional programming, staff, facilities, and strategic partnerships and collaborations.
Structured Afterschool Programs – focus on positive impact in:
- Academic Success
- Good Character & Leadership
- Healthy Lifestyle
Our Core Values – state how we work with – and for – our young members:
- Inclusion & Opportunity We strive to offer children and teens from all economic, cultural and social backgrounds access to the resources, support and opportunities that will allow them to overcome barriers and achieve their full potential in life.
- Respect & Belonging We provide a safe, supportive place, where every child is listened to, treated with respect and valued in an environment of inclusion and acceptance. Our staff and volunteers model honesty, fair play, positive attitudes, cooperation and respect for self and others.
- Empowerment We believe all young people can grow into responsible, self-reliant and contributing members of society. Children and teens are at the center of everything we do. Through educational programs, adventure, play and discovery, we encourage and empower them to develop healthy lifestyles, a life-long passion for learning, leadership and life skills, and a sense of social responsibility.
- Collaboration We work together with families and volunteers in each community, in partnership with the public and private sector, to create healthy community solutions to provide children and teens with what they need for optimal development.
- Advocacy We speak out on behalf of children, teens and their families.